Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Day With Our Two Super Volunteers in the Go Vap Orphanage

January 21, 2010

Xin Chao Son Michael!
-
Thank you for the run down of who's who at Go Vap! I know exactly who each person you mention is and they have all been lovely to us! I'm so sorry I haven't been in touch sooner but we've been having SUCH an amazing time here, I've not been online that much!
Today marked the end of our third week at Go Vap (we're visiting the Mekong Delta with a Vietnamese friend tomorrow for the weekend), and I am already sad that next week is our final week there.
We went to Leanne's English class last Sunday, which was brilliant! I started teaching the children a song, and I'm hoping that I get back from the Delta early enough on Sunday so that I can go to another class. Mrs. Truc is so lovely! Actually, everyone at Go Vap has warmed to us, even some of the 'harder' nurses and the grumpy security guard! Show how far a big smile and a 'Xin Chao' can go ;)
Pauly gave haircuts today! It took so long to organize it because we asked last week and they said no because apparently they pay someone to come in to cut hair and they didn't want to take money away from that person. But today, Pauly saw them shaving a toddler's head in the hallway, and he stepped in and properly cutr about half a dozen toddler's hair. The nurses were so grateful! On Monday, he's going to cut hair for the older kids in the disabled ward (that't where we spend most of our time - Pauly helping the two nuns, I believe Sister Lucienne & Ms. Chi, and I flock to the most disadvantaged kids in this ward and help with feeding and 'physical therapy').
After spending the morning helping out in the disabled ward, Pauly helps to feed the toddlers then helps Ms. Chi & Sister Lucienne with the 4 years olds after their nap. I head to the hydrocephalus/sick wards for the afternoon. The most wonderful feeling in the world is making these sick children laugh - thank God I'm an actress because I've been busting out show tunes left and right, juggling rubber duckies, dancing around like a clown. They love it! I'm sure the nurses think I'm nuts, but it makes the kids laugh so much, I'd walk on my head if I had to! It warms my heart. The nurses take the more mobile children onto the play mats after their afternoon feed, so I go around to the kids that are crib-bound and hold their hand, sign them a song, shower them with kisses and just talk to them with an arm across their chest or their belly. The responses from these kids is beyond anything I ever thought possible. During this time, I also keep my eyes peeled because so many of these babies throw up and end up lying in it or with vomit all over their faces, so I run to them and clean it up, change their sheets, change their diapers and always carry a wet cloth for runny noses!
This is the most challenging and fufilling thing I've ever done in my life - and I'm not here to change the world, but the simple pleasure of making the kids comfortable, showing them love and making them giggle is just about the best reward I could ask for.
...
Tam Biet!
Angela (& Pauly)
Angela and Pauly are from New York. They spent four weeks of their vacation time volunteering at the Go Vap Orphanage in Saigon. You can read stories of their time in Viet Nam at http://angelarauscher.blogspot.com .
(Thank you, Kim Browne, for sending Angela and Pauly to us)

No comments: